Fauna Schema Migration tool

Hi everyone, I have just published an unofficial fauna schema migration tool. The goal is to help with:

• Setting up Fauna resources as code.
  • Simplify development
  • Updating a Fauna database in one transaction.
  • Guidance on how this can be done by printing the FQL statements in case you want to write your own scripts/tooling.

The tool is available on GitHub: GitHub - fauna-labs/fauna-schema-migrate: The Fauna Schema Migrate tool helps you set up Fauna resources as code and perform schema migrations.
and was pushed to npm: fauna-schema-migrate - npm

Please read through the GitHub README first. If you have questions or suggestions afterwards, feel free to post them here. If there are bugs, please open a GitHub issue.

Feedback is very much appreciated, so we can determine whether this actually helps and whether it is missing features. It was built initially to provide Fauna skeletons in a sane way and help users along the way but is not (yet) in a production stage. If it turns out that this is exactly what is needed we could improve and look into officially supporting this tool.

A video walkthrough can be found here:

16 Likes

This is amazing! Thanks so much… will try it soon :slight_smile:

thanks! Great tool!

i usually run one script that response diff between my cloud state and current state of my application. So, this tool will help me a lot !

Thanks @databrecht

I’m very much interested in Fauna Schema Migrate, for the moment I’ve been using Fauna GraphQL Upload instead, but I’ll probably switch over to FSM once it supports GQL :wink:

Meanwhile, maybe examples about using FGU will help others:

3 Likes

Yes! Migrations are the only thing keeping FaunaDB from being the solution for me. Without them it’s quite hard to sync dev/stage/prod environments

1 Like

Hey, great solution. I’m also writing a similar script now and I hope you don’t mind if I take some ideas from you.

This seems like a great solution to manage and migrate different databases and their different versions. I’m probably still not going to use it at this point in time since it doesn’t yet support GraphQL migrations, and the fact that the entire project may be discontinued in the future.