Can't get the id of a Function ref that points to a nonexistent function

I am trying to create an upsert function for UDFs in v4 as part of my graphql migration. I’ve run into what feels like a bug when trying to get the id of a Function reference:

I can check for the existence of a Function without issue, whether or not it exists:

q.Let(
    {
      functionRef: q.Function('fakeFunction'),
    },
    q.Exists(q.Var('functionRef'))
  )

>> false

But when I try to get the id of a Function (the ‘fakeFunction’ name) from the Function ref, I get this error:

q.Let(
    {
      functionRef: q.Function('fakeFunction'),
    },
    q.Select('id', q.Var('functionRef'))
  )

>> Error: [
  {
    "position": [
      "in",
      "from"
    ],
    "code": "invalid ref",
    "description": "Ref refers to undefined function 'fakeFunction'"
  }
]

I’m able to get the id of the Function if the function exists however.

q.Let(
    {
      functionRef: q.Function('existingFunction'),
    },
    q.Select('id', q.Var('functionRef'))
  )

>> existingFunction

The same is true for other schema as well

This might be an artifact of us not allowing you to persist references to schema that don’t exist (at the time of creation anyway).

Some schema, for example Roles, require you to specify existing schema references in your Role definitions: like if you try to add permissions for a Collection that doesn’t exist, you’ll get an error.

Are you able to work around it? Here’s an older post where I do a similar upsert-function query: "Upsert" FQL example not working - #4 by ptpaterson

1 Like

I was able to work around it. I switched from passing a Function ref to a string instead. I had started with a Function ref because that’s what Update takes as its first argument, and I was refactoring from that.

Okay, very good. The fact that this doesn’t work is a bit of a disconnect, given the general impression that “everything is document” in v4. I’ve created an internal ticket for this as a potential improvement for the record. That said, with workarounds available and efforts focused on v10, I can’t say that this will make the cut.

Thank you, as always, for your continued feedback!