name: String!
}

type Property {
  address: String
  purchasePrice: Long
  owner: Owner! @relation
}

I have two user-types Owners and Managers. Those users have separate roles: an owner-role, and a manager-role. I want to allow managers to access owner-properties, but I want to hide the purchasePrice from them.

After trying several options, it seems my only option is to update the data model to something like this:

type Owner {
}

type Manager {
}

type Property {
  address: String
  owner: Owner! @relation
  ownerOnlyDetails: OwnerOnlyPropertyDetails @relation
}

type OwnerOnlyPropertyDetails {
  purchasePrice: Long
  property: Property! @relation
}

By placing the data I want to hide in a different collection, I can give Managers access to the Property type, while denying access to the OwnerOnlyPropertyDetails

Unfortunately, having to update the data model in this way introduces a lot of work in an application, so I was trying to avoid it.

Alternative Solution:

Create custom UDFs for all manager data access. This means I can't easily reuse code between managers and owners in my app, so it's not ideal. Also, I lose a lot of the benefits of graphql being able to freely query my data how I want without a lot of overhead.

Conclusion

Since Fauna's abac permissions system is document-level, there's no way to filter out document properties. It would be nice if there was a feature to define and give permission to view a subset of a document's data. Maybe Fauna could integrate GraphQL Interfaces with abac to achieve this.