GDPR compliance

Hi! It Fauna DB GDPR-ready? Can I use it as an European company? Thanks!

Hi Akryum. We do have customers in the EU, but we’re waiting on official guidance on this. Do you mind if I reach out to you via email to get a better idea of your data locality requirements?

1 Like

Sure! You can email me. I’m located in France.

@Akryum et al<

As you may notice in this Forum’s announcements I am very excited to announce that Region Groups are now live and fully available for use. Region Groups are independent Fauna clusters which run within a single area of the globe, such as the US and the EU. Region Groups allow you to meet your data residency requirements, including compliance with GDPR standards. At present, you may create new databases in your choice of European Union, United States, or in the more broadly replicated Global (US-EU) Region Group. Your existing databases are located in the Global Region Group. Please check out the linked post for details and links to documentation.

2 Likes

On July 16, 2020, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) annulled the “EU-U.S. Privacy Shield”. Will you move to Standard contractual clauses (SCC)?

As I understand it, without this, I cannot use the Classic Regional Group without violating GDPR

Using the EU region for personal data is an option, but GDPR does not always force storing data in the EU region. I would recommend you add to the roadmap a consultation with legal counsel about this.

This may be useful: Postmark’s response to the Schrems II Judgment (Privacy Shield invalidation) | Postmark

Fauna offers multiple region groups that store data in different geographies. For example, our EU Region group stores data in the EU exclusively. This allows developers building on Fauna to meet data residency requirements in the EU. GDPR has many other requirements beyond data residency that need to implemented outside the database. Here is a good guide) on GDPR compliance.

To learn more about Fauna’s Region Groups and how we built them, refer to this article and this Blog