EU Data regulation

Hello awesome folks,

I was wondering if it is possible to host your database strictly in a specific region, in case you have to comply with data regulations. Since faunadb by default replicates to all regions if I understood correctly.

Hi @Dimotro Welcome to the Fauna Forums!!

You are right, current Fauna replicates data by default into multiple regions. We are working on a new feature which would let users to select the regions where they want data to reside. Which region and data regulations are you interested in ?

Thanks for getting back to me @Jay-Fauna

As of 16 July 2020 Privacy Shield (agreement for data transfer to outside the EU) was deemed invalid by the higher EU court. Currently, this would not be an issue if hosting solely in Ireland was possible. But soon enough Brexit will probably happen and this would close the door to a lot of EU customers, since there is no alternative region at the moment that can comply with these regulations (if I understood correctly!)

Are there any plans to host fauna in more regions on AWS/GCP in the EU? Germany(Frankfurt)/the Netherlands(Amsterdam) would make a great candidate if you ask me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Dimotro appreciate sharing this information. Data Locality and Premium Regions are on the top of Product roadmap items. Relaying the feedback on preferred regions to team.

Ireland is not in the UK. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve heard nothing of them leaving the EU…?