Is it possible to choose in which countries data is stored?

My company (based in Melbourne, Australia) is considering migrating to FaunaDB, but we sometimes encounter clients who insist on their data being stored on Australian servers. Is it possible to enforce this kind of constraint with FaunaDB?

Separately, I notice on your features page that Sydney is a planned location. Is there rough timeline for when Sydney will come online?

Thanks, Luke

Here are previous relevant topics. They don’t address your question on Sydney node, though.

Short answer as of June was that they’re working on it, and cannot comment on timelines.

https://forums.fauna.com/t/single-region-database/221/2?u=ptpaterson

2 Likes

Thanks for your help!

Any updates on this? I’ve noticed the list of server locations has disappeared from the features page. Would also be interested to know about whether servers are available in Australia.

1 Like

No updates to share yet, other than we are still working on this capability.

We do not currently operate a replica in the Australia region. You can see our current replica locations on our Status page: https://status.fauna.com/

disappeared because they say Available globally but actually the correct are two instance in NA and one instance in Europe.
still waiting for São Paulo - Brazil.

After $27M and new leadership I expected was better features(price planning change and regions) but dont know what happens in back stage.
really waiting for better chapter in faunadb.

I’d like more transparency on this, it’s a very hot topic those days (especially in EU) and can have a heavy impact on whether to chose FaunaDB.

For instance, I’d like to know the roadmap, what do you want to do? Do you want to allow us to select where our data are stored? How would replica work then?

If I could have the choice, I’d have my data in Europe (preferably France but anywhere is fine really), and have replicas in Europe only.

Also, does FaunaDB provides a Data Protection Agreement? Other providers usually provide a DPA template for me/them to sign. Having a DPA is often useful (to me) to show (to my customers) that things are properly supervised.

2 Likes

I agree with Ambroise. From what I can see, the only page or information that Fauna gives around security/data privacy/compliance is the EU-US data shield page. Stuff like this is really helpful to show to our customers, but it seems like there is no official information. For example, I had to search these forums just to find if data stored in the database is encrypted at rest, because there is no official information for that on the website (that I could find). It is helpful that we can say that Fauna runs on AWS+GCP, but I think there should be more transparency and clear communication around this.

Another example, is GDPR. Again, I had to search the forums for help with ensuring data is deleted within a certain time frame, and the only answer I could find is that even with a TTL of 0, there is no guarantee when the data will actually be removed from the database. Even if this were the case, it would be super helpful if it was just on one single page, which we can use in discussions with our customers.

5 Likes

Any movement on this? We require our data to reside in Australia servers. We currently use Mongdodb but looking for a solution that can do joins better. Fauna looks awesome but unfortunately not having the ability to store data in Australian servers is a blocker

Hi @K_Tech,

First, welcome to the Fauna forums! And thanks for being part of our community.

We are constantly evaluating which regions to expand into, and have some additional deployments around the world planned for the coming year. However, we’re not able to say definitively which regions will be expanded into first, or by which date they will be. I can say that Australia (and Southern APAC generally) are on the list for future expansion.

Please keep an eye on the Announcements category for updates.

Thanks,
Cory

1 Like

Checking in to see if there has been a movement on this?