Prototyping 3rd party auth without $150

The news today shows that 3rd-party auth will only be available at the $150/month Team level.

Will there be a way to prototype this once it goes live without committing $150?

I don’t expect I will have any time to work with the beta. Once it goes live what options should I and others expect to have for ensuring that the apps we build without 3rd-party auth can still be ready for 3rd-party auth?

good to know… I’m in the same situation.

While there’s been some hubub over pricing changes, I not trying cause such a stir. I am concerned, though, about using best practices to build apps and prepare them for eventually using 3rd party auth.

I am in a place that would require me to build up usage to justify the team level $150 before I even consider any apps with 3rd party auth. Yet the world is in a place where social auth can be absolutely vital for a new app to get traction. This means I am unable to use Fauna best practices for new apps, until I already have significantly successful apps already in the world without those best practices.

The Blog is nice, but I cannot even run the start script without paying $150 (not mentioned in the blog post btw, but moving on). There was talk for months about the new features coming, which put in a place to stop working and wait for them. The official tutorial for the feature comes out and I am unable to follow it.

I can get the cost, but is there anyway to prototype with the feature without the huge price tag? A primary reason I ever came to Fauna in the first place is that someone in my place could access all of the awesome features on the free tear. I could complain and claim with fiery passion that these features should be available at free tier and just use up TCO’s rapidly. I could… because that would be awesome… but I do want to move on and figure out how I can be successful with these new plans.

Is there any way we can get functional Providers for prototyping without the $150 team level? Docker image? Anything? Or are we left to read and re-read the blog and example code hoping that when we pull the trigger things can be turned around quickly enough to make the cost worth it?

5 Likes

3rd party auth is now available to the Free tier. Does this resolve this request?

You’re right! Yes :slight_smile:

But please note that it is not available on the Individual tier; you would still need to pay for the Team plan to use this feature in production. The logic here is that we want you to be able to try out the features and build proof-of-concepts, but still pay for the services once you have usage.